- June 30, 2020 /
- Posted by admin
With the advent of technology regarding sports fields, synthetic turf has been upgraded to an extent where the experiential difference of playing on a synthetic turf as compared to natural is minimal to zero.
To play about 3 to 4 times a week on natural grass remains an issue. Without appropriate maintenance & watering of the sports ground, natural grass deteriorates quite fast and playing on it would become cumbersome. The cost of maintaining natural grass, labor costs and as well as the importance of conserving water these times have been a big factor to the importance and a shift towards synthetic turf. Let’s look at some of the reasons as to why going forward with a synthetic turf for playing field is necessary:
1) A positive impact on the environment
- Water saving
- Natural grass typically requires between 500,000 to 1,000,000 gallons water per year
- Every sqm of natural grass replaced by artificial grass saves 2,200 gallons per year
- Artificial turf saves 4 to 8 billion gallons annually
- Pesticide use
- Artificial turf requires no need for pesticide and fertilizers
- Less pollution
- Reduces noxious emissions from maintenance equipment and mowers
- Push mower emits pollution in one hour as equivalent to 11 cars. A riding mower emits equivalent to 34 cars
2) Greater ROI
- An artificial turf pays for itself after 2-3 years
- Cost of installing and using an artificial turf over a period of 20 years with one replacement of the material is 3x less expensive than the use of natural grass in that time frame which accounts for maintenance as well.
- With artificial turf, land usage can be optimized. This is very useful for highly urbanized environment with limited land space and access to recreational areas.
4) All Seasons
- Natural turf requires a lot of work during winter and summer months and not to mention when the seasons change, mowing, fertilization and pesticides are required in these transitions. This creates loads of labor work and expenses that could have been avoided with the use of artificial grass. Synthetic turf can be used in all weather conditions without the need for maintenance and one game after another can be played on it.
- Natural grass should only be used 20-24 hours per week or 700-820 hours per year
- Synthetic turf can be used in excess of 3000 hours per year with no rest period required
6) Health & Safety
- Numerous studies have shown that a good quality synthetic turf leads no injury during game. FIFA quality turf have been approved to be shown as products that can allow players to enjoy their game without the risk of injury from sliding.